Sunday, 3 February 2013

Starting again.

Last year didn't end very well for me. The foot/ankle injuries combined with the weird unexplained weight loss, high blood pressure, headache, blurred vision thing meant that I just didn't want to know about anything exercise related. I was getting into the mindset of 'well, I'm 50 now, maybe this is just what happens. Time to give it up'. Just another symptom of depression I expect.
I went to see the Doctor at Cath's insistence and although she said she wasn't sure what was the problem she prescribed me some Vit D supplements. Must be some pretty heavy doses as I only have to take 2 tablets a month for the next 15 months. I don't know if it's coincidence, placebo effect or what but I have been feeling a bit happier with life. My foot is still pretty knackered but I have decided to start running again. Nowt too extreme but a bit to keep me ticking over. The Sunday mountain bike rides with the lads are back on the menu too and I'm starting to feel less like it's a chore and actually enjoying it.
First run of the year was January 26th! Cath dragged me out for a bimble up to the Tower and back with her and the dog. It was great! There had been a massive dump of snow the night before and it was still thick on the ground. Slow going but it was just great to get out. On the way back down I took the short cut through the little quarry near the Tower. I wondered why there were no footprints in the snow. Well, I did until I went shin deep into the drifts! The dog was loving it, bouncing around. Further down it got really deep and I got stuck in snow up to my knackers! I forced my way through, laughing my head off. When I looked back Cath had got stuck and the only way she could get out was the crawl and then roll down the hillside! It was bloody funny! 51 minutes to run 3.7 miles! We did stop a few times to chat to people to be fair.
The second run of the year was the day after. It had rained heavily during the night and the lovely snow had turned into horrible slush. It was pretty much unrideable and so the mornings planned mountain bike ride became a fell run. We (me, Dave Billi and Livsey) ran over the tops and then onto the route of the Dark Un, picking it up on the return leg.
Tough going through a lot of shin deep slush and ice cold streams that used to be paths. Despite the wonderful Sealskin waterproof (ho ho) socks I was wearing, my feet were soon soaked and like blocks of ice. I was glad the other two guys were there as I probably wouldn't have done the run on my own. Piss taking and pride are such great motivators I find. As we headed back up towards Fingerpost we caught up with a woman running in the same direction. I had a bit of a chat with her and explained about the Dark Un. The next night she put two entries for the race through my door!
We carried on, wading and thrutching across the tops until we reached the point we had started on the course. I think we were all pretty pleased that we could now head home and try and get warm! I know I was. 8.5 miles took us an hour 53. Slow going. Satisfying though.
After that and suffering no real further injuries etc I determined to try to get back to running a couple of times a week, hopefully back on the Thurs night club runs soon, and riding the bike at least on Sundays, possibly on Weds nights too. I've even considered starting riding to work again. We'll see.
Anyway, I must be feeling a bit more myself as I have entered my first event of the year - a sportive style mtb ride at Malham in April. So, I'll suck it and see. Hopefully the enthusiasm I am starting to feel again will keep me going for a while. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment